Worker's Death Tied to Sandblasting With Nuts

A Canadian man's nut allergy apparently proved fatal after he performed air quality tests at a building where walnut shells were being used to blast paint off the walls. 

On Oct. 2, Justin Mathews, 33, spent roughly 20 minutes inside an Edmonton fire station where a walnut-based sandblasting product was in use before complaining that he couldn't breathe, report the CBC and National Post. Mathews—who had always been very cautious about his allergy, according to his family—then went into anaphylactic shock and collapsed, his mom says.

 He was taken off life support five days after arriving at University of Alberta Hospital, where doctors determined he'd suffered damage to 80% of his brain, reports the National Post.

Read the full story on Newser.com

More From Newser

Photo: Getty Images

title

Content Goes Here